From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 05:53:26
1 On Wednesday 07 September 2005 04:04, Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Christopher Schwerdt wrote:
3 > Curious. When I run "glsa-check -t all" and it comes back with 17 hits.
4 > However, I have a script that runs "emerge sync" and "emerge -p world"
5 > every night and another one that runs "emerge -puD world" every Saturday. I
6 > am currently completely up to date on these except libxml wants to be
7 > updated on "-uD".
8 >
9 > So, how do I wind up with 17 packages that need to be updated? Hmm, perhaps
10 > these are all packages on my system that are neither in my world file nor
11 > depdencies of stuff in my world file? Would that then make them orphaned?
12 > And theoretically safe to delete? How does one find out if a specific
13 > package is required by any other packages again?
14 Only packages you explicitly emerge are recorded in the world profile
15 (/var/lib/portage/world) dependencies are not. See the man pages for portage
16 and emerge for more details.
17
18 HTH
21 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)