From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 02:07:12
1 Christopher Schwerdt wrote:
2 >>-----Original Message-----
3 >>From: Jeremy Brake [mailto:gentoolists@×××××××××××.nz]
4 >>Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:53 PM
5 >>To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
6 >>Subject: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
7 >>
8 >>Hey,
9 >>
10 >>Is there anything in Portage which will allow me to view security
11 >>updates, seperate from general version updates?
14 > Install gentoolkit if you haven't already and run "glsa-check -t all".
15 > It will show you all GLSA's that affect your currently installed
16 > packages. You can then "glsa-check -d YYYYMM-DD" to view the resolution
17 > (i.e. what packages to emerge) of the security update.
20 Curious. When I run "glsa-check -t all" and it comes back with 17 hits. However, I have a
21 script that runs "emerge sync" and "emerge -p world" every night and another one that runs
22 "emerge -puD world" every Saturday. I am currently completely up to date on these except
23 libxml wants to be updated on "-uD".
24
25 So, how do I wind up with 17 packages that need to be updated? Hmm, perhaps these are all
26 packages on my system that are neither in my world file nor depdencies of stuff in my
27 world file? Would that then make them orphaned? And theoretically safe to delete? How does
28 one find out if a specific package is required by any other packages again?
29
30 b
31
32 PS: to the O.P... you can also subscribe to "gentoo-announce@l.g.o". I am and
33 have a mail filter route it into a glsa folder (it's 99.999% glsa anyway).
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list