From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] (Hardened) Converting production Gentoo mail/web server to
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:44:12
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 12:09 +0200, Jean Blignaut wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have often considered and even tried a couple of times to setup a
5 >> hardened box however I get confused between all the different options
6 >> and all the different implications. What with Selinux Grsecurity 1/2
7 >> RSBAC PIE etc. etc.
8 >
9 > Each implementation solves a different subset of all "security"
10 > problems.
11 >
12 > PIE and SSP try to stop buffer overflows and code insertion attacks.
13 > They are "invasive" as they change how memory allocation and other low
14 > level things work and may break applications in quite interesting ways.
15 > Enabling them is easy.
16 >
17 > SELinux is a security policy framework, it doesn't care about buffer
18 > overflows, but manages what applications can do. You can lock down
19 > filesystem access, network access,... per application
20 > It's a lot more complicated to set up, but still manageable. The most
21 > problematic step is as far as I can tell teaching the access rules.
22 > Takes time and patience, but no black magic :-)
23 >
24 > GRSecurity is a somewhere in between, it may be the most useful for
25 > "normal" users, but I don't have enough experience with all of those to
26 > really comment on that.
27
28 I'll just comment that Gentoo uses pie/ssp/grsecurity on all their
29 infrastructure boxes. I haven't noticed any performance degradation
30 because of the implementations. I really haven't had any issues running
31 most applications under grsec/pax.
34 >> Also Because these are production servers in use by 1000s of customers
35 >> I would have to find a hardened kernel (or what ever) that would have
36 >> as small an impact on the current workings and config of the systems
37 >> involved.
38 > You'd have to test on a spare box anyway :-)
39 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/server-standards.xml might
40 > be a good starting point for the kernel settings, then you'll have to
41 > test until you can be reasonably sure that nothing fails.
42
43 I can't really say how up to date that page is. So take what you read
44 from that as a grain of salt.
45
46 >> I have all my partitions formatted (and kernels built) with support
47 >> for security labels, but that's as far as I've gotten. Also the idea
48 >> of splitting up roots permissions into roles is an interesting
49 >> prospect but I've yet to find decent documentation on how to
50 >> implement/use POSIX ROLES
51 > There are many ways of increasing security - I've been using vserver for
52 > some time, helps a lot in service separation. The hardened profile is a
53 > nice starting point, but as I've had too many problems using it ~x86 on
54 > a desktop box I've reverted to the default profile and a vanilla kernel.
55 > The problems were mostly toolchain / compilation bugs, no "unstable"
56 > problems. It's recommendable for server usage.
57
58 I can't vouch for SELinux and the framework around it, but I highly
59 recommend you at least use the hardened profile for servers and some
60 sort of pax/grsecurity enabled kernel. Its not a complete stop gate for
61 security, but it certainly adds another layer to the onion.
64 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
65 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
66
67 ---
68 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
69 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
70
71 ramereth/irc.freenode.net