From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] (Hardened) Converting production Gentoo mail/web server to
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:47:05
1 On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 12:09 +0200, Jean Blignaut wrote:
2
3 > I have often considered and even tried a couple of times to setup a
4 > hardened box however I get confused between all the different options
5 > and all the different implications. What with Selinux Grsecurity 1/2
6 > RSBAC PIE etc. etc.
7
8 Each implementation solves a different subset of all "security"
9 problems.
10
11 PIE and SSP try to stop buffer overflows and code insertion attacks.
12 They are "invasive" as they change how memory allocation and other low
13 level things work and may break applications in quite interesting ways.
14 Enabling them is easy.
15
16 SELinux is a security policy framework, it doesn't care about buffer
17 overflows, but manages what applications can do. You can lock down
18 filesystem access, network access,... per application
19 It's a lot more complicated to set up, but still manageable. The most
20 problematic step is as far as I can tell teaching the access rules.
21 Takes time and patience, but no black magic :-)
22
23 GRSecurity is a somewhere in between, it may be the most useful for
24 "normal" users, but I don't have enough experience with all of those to
25 really comment on that.
28 > Also the kernel patching concerns me a bit, I would much rather not
29 > have to search around an battle to patch kernels my self if at all
30 > possible.
31 sys-kernel/* might have what you want - rsbac-sources and
32 hardened-sources should be a good starting point. No need to reinvent
33 the wheel ...
34
35 > I don't get to upgrade the kernel on my production servers very often
36 > since company policy is 0 downtime.
40 > Also Because these are production servers in use by 1000s of customers
41 > I would have to find a hardened kernel (or what ever) that would have
42 > as small an impact on the current workings and config of the systems
43 > involved.
44 You'd have to test on a spare box anyway :-)
45 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/server-standards.xml might
46 be a good starting point for the kernel settings, then you'll have to
47 test until you can be reasonably sure that nothing fails.
50 > I have all my partitions formatted (and kernels built) with support
51 > for security labels, but that's as far as I've gotten. Also the idea
52 > of splitting up roots permissions into roles is an interesting
53 > prospect but I've yet to find decent documentation on how to
54 > implement/use POSIX ROLES
55 There are many ways of increasing security - I've been using vserver for
56 some time, helps a lot in service separation. The hardened profile is a
57 nice starting point, but as I've had too many problems using it ~x86 on
58 a desktop box I've reverted to the default profile and a vanilla kernel.
59 The problems were mostly toolchain / compilation bugs, no "unstable"
60 problems. It's recommendable for server usage.
61
62 Hope that helps,
63
64 Patrick
65 --
66 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move