From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Linux Standard Base and Linux Core Consortium
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:20:56
1 Andrew,
2
3 I just took a quick look at the links, so I didn't notice that :o(
4
5 Anyway, is the RPM format mandatory for the whole system, or just
6 for installing LSB compliant software? I mean, right now some of the
7 packages in Gentoo are installed in binary format, as they aren't
8 available in source format, so maybe you could build all your Gentoo
9 system the Gentoo way, as long as you get sure you get an LSB compliant
10 system, and then use RPM to install applications that are only available
11 in that format. Keep in mind that we are talking here about commercial
12 software, so you won't get the source for them, and I think that being
13 able to install things like certified Oracle or IBM software would be
14 benefitial for Gentoo.
15
16 Best regards
17 Jose
18
19 Andrew Fant wrote:
20
21 > Jose,
22 > I would suspect that the odds of Gentoo complying with either of
23 > these standards are slim to none as long as they define RPM as the
24 > mandatory package management format.
25 >
26 > Andy
29 > --On Friday, November 19, 2004 18:05:53 +0100 Jose Gonzalez Gomez