From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] help for qmail and virtual/mta
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:43:42
1 On 13/06/06, David CHANIAL <david.ml@××××××××.fr> wrote:
2 > Thanks for your answer,
3 >
4 > > No, it's not a bug.
5 >
6 > I known, but i've seen that bug interface is used for others things than bugs.
7 > thats why i've made this suggest...
8
9 Yes, that's true.
13 > > Consider the effective dependency tree - ssmtp is
14 > > the requested package and therefore this is the package that you have
15 > > to "provide".
16 >
17 > Yes ssmtp is the requested package, but virtual/mta is the requested
18 > dependence, no ?
19
20 Exactly. GnuPG depends on virtual/mta (it doesn't care which package
21 in particular).
24 > And i would be better to interessest themself to the real need (virtual/mta)
25 > ans not by the default way to provide virtual/mta (ssmtp)
26 >
27 > no ?
28
29 Yes but virtuals are just that, virtuals. A virtual could mean package
30 A or package B or package C ... That's no good when you're using
31 package.provided - you have to be specific. Virtuals are useful but in
32 the end you're not installing virtuals, you're installing packages :)
33 When you emerge anything (no matter whether you specify a virtual or a
34 package name) you end up with a deptree that consists of packages. And
35 if you don't want one of those packages then you have to change
36 something so that the package isn't needed anymore (using
37 package.provided is one way). It's as simple as that.
41 > > Because qmail is _not_ part of the dependency tree,
42 > > indicating that it's provided is useless. If you wanted to do it by
43 > > specifying qmail then you'd have to do this too:
44 > >
45 > > # echo "virtual/mta mail-mta/qmail" >> /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
46 > >
47 > > By doing that you'd make qmail the default choice for fulfulling
48 > > virtual/mta; you should be able to confirm that by running emerge -ptv
49 > > spamassassin afterwards. Therefore, you could proceed to put
50 > > mail-mta/qmail in package.provided and it should work.
51 >
52 > I think this is the better way to answer my problem no ?
53
54 Sure. It should work just fine.
58 > > But it would be completely pointless. You'd be overriding a virtual
59 > > for no good reason (you're never going to emerge the virtual anyway)
60 > > and making things more complicated. Specifying ssmtp is a good way :)
61 >
62 > i just wan't to understand... is there a probleme to "custom" the virtual to
63 > the package we prefer use in default case ?
64
65 Not at all. In fact, the ability to customise virtuals is very useful
66 and I recommend it (some people don't like the default package choices
67 for certain virtuals). I suppose it's just a matter of preference
68 because, for me, it would make more sense if you ever intended to
69 actually install qmail through portage. In your case, you would be
70 overriding a virtual but for "cosmetic" purposes only (i.e. so that
71 you can specify A instead of B in package.provided). Don't get me
72 wrong - it's not incorrect so if you prefer this way then please use
73 it :)
74
75 Cheers,
76