From: David CHANIAL <david.ml@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] help for qmail and virtual/mta
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:16:21
1 Thanks for your answer,
2
3 > No, it's not a bug.
4
5 I known, but i've seen that bug interface is used for others things than bugs.
6 thats why i've made this suggest...
9 > Consider the effective dependency tree - ssmtp is
10 > the requested package and therefore this is the package that you have
11 > to "provide".
12
13 Yes ssmtp is the requested package, but virtual/mta is the requested
14 dependence, no ?
15
16 And i would be better to interessest themself to the real need (virtual/mta)
17 ans not by the default way to provide virtual/mta (ssmtp)
18
19 no ?
22 > Because qmail is _not_ part of the dependency tree,
23 > indicating that it's provided is useless. If you wanted to do it by
24 > specifying qmail then you'd have to do this too:
25 >
26 > # echo "virtual/mta mail-mta/qmail" >> /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
27 >
28 > By doing that you'd make qmail the default choice for fulfulling
29 > virtual/mta; you should be able to confirm that by running emerge -ptv
30 > spamassassin afterwards. Therefore, you could proceed to put
31 > mail-mta/qmail in package.provided and it should work.
32
33 I think this is the better way to answer my problem no ?
36 > But it would be completely pointless. You'd be overriding a virtual
37 > for no good reason (you're never going to emerge the virtual anyway)
38 > and making things more complicated. Specifying ssmtp is a good way :)
39
40 i just wan't to understand... is there a probleme to "custom" the virtual to
41 the package we prefer use in default case ?
42
43 and even if it's effectivly "making things more complicated", this is not
44 the "cleanest" way ?
45
46 better thant the "easy" way (ssmtp) ?
47
48 Best regards,
49 --
50 David CHANIAL - Euro Web SARL - http://www.euro-web.fr
51 Location de serveurs dédiés infogérés
52 Infogérance et consulting
53 Hébergement mutualisé sur mesure
54 Serveurs de jeux
57 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list