From: Jeroen Geilman <jeroen@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] exim + spamd: permissions errors when checking spam
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:01:30
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 > I am using exim + spamd which comes with spamassassin.
3 >
4 > When a mail comes in, I get all sorts of funky errors about permissions.
5 > Googling didn't really help much. Below are the logs. Any ideas?
8 They're not funky errors; spamd is simply telling you that it cannot
9 create a ~/.spamassassin directory for user "nobody" - which is not
10 surprising, since nobody doesn't *have* a homedirectory.
11
12 This is a known limitation when running spamd from within exim's acls -
13 it can only run as one user, since there is currently no way for exim to
14 pass the username to spamd.
15 There are two solutions - either run spamd as one dedicated user who
16 does have a homedirectory, say "spamd", or use the old procmail
17 forwarding method which can and does work per-user.
18
19 The reason Exim can't do per-user spamchecking has to do with the way it
20 processes messages - when the spamd ACL is evaluated, it doesn't yet
21 know the final destination.
22
23 I found this out after some heavy Googling and detailed perusing of the
24 Exim manual - which is very good by the way, *if* you can grasp its syntax.
25
26 I finally opted to just run as "nobody" and forget the per-user Bayes
27 database - resulting in a significant amount of spam...
28
29 I'm currently moving back to postfix, which has worked for me in the past.
30
31 J
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list