From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] exim + spamd: permissions errors when checking spam
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:18:08
1 On Saturday 19 August 2006 19:58, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
2 > They're not funky errors; spamd is simply telling you that it cannot
3 > create a ~/.spamassassin directory for user "nobody" - which is not
4 > surprising, since nobody doesn't *have* a homedirectory.
5 >
6 > This is a known limitation when running spamd from within exim's acls -
7 > it can only run as one user, since there is currently no way for exim to
8 > pass the username to spamd.
9 > There are two solutions - either run spamd as one dedicated user who
10 > does have a homedirectory, say "spamd", or use the old procmail
11 > forwarding method which can and does work per-user.
12 >
13 > The reason Exim can't do per-user spamchecking has to do with the way it
14 > processes messages - when the spamd ACL is evaluated, it doesn't yet
15 > know the final destination.
16 >
17 > I found this out after some heavy Googling and detailed perusing of the
18 > Exim manual - which is very good by the way, *if* you can grasp its syntax.
19 >
20 > I finally opted to just run as "nobody" and forget the per-user Bayes
21 > database - resulting in a significant amount of spam...
22 >
23 > I'm currently moving back to postfix, which has worked for me in the past.
24
25 Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
26
27 Okay, this now makes sense to me. nobody on my system has / as the home
28 directory (wtf?), and of course it doesn't have perms there. so ~/ becomes //
29 in the logs. Okay makes sense so far.
30
31 What I did was make a dedicated user for spamd to drop down to. I informed
32 gentoo of this by editing the appropriate options in /etc/conf.d/spamd , and
33 also changing the location of the pidfile there to the home directory of the
34 new user. I then set this users shell to bash (though I don't think I should
35 need one?)
36
37 Starting spamd looks normal. ps auwxxx | grep spam shows three processes: One
38 root spamd and two children running as the user I specified.
39
40 When exim sends mail at it, I get the exact same errors; As if it is for some
41 reason using the root spamd. Doesn't really make sense to me.
42
43 None of it makes sense to me, as i've run exim + spamd in the past on other
44 servers out of the box; No mucking of usernames etc was ever needed.
45
46 Also, I am not trying to get per-user spam stuff to work, only run spamd as a
47 non-priv user, and have exim talk to the daemon via localhost:873.
48
49 I feel like I am missing something here, any idea what it is?
50 --
51 99% of politicians make the rest look bad.
52 --
53 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list