From: sts <sts@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:23:53
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2
3 > Hi guys,
4 >
5 > My back-up setup with rdiff-backup is going very smoothly so far.
6 > Skipping /usr/portage/distfiles really saved me a lot of time/space. I
7 > just have one more question.
8 >
9 > In the below email, Anthony excludes /var/cache/edb. Wondering what
10 > this directory is for, and why I should exclude it?
11 >
12 > Just want make sure I'm not excluding something that I'll need, should
13 > I ever have to actually use this backup.
14 >
15 > b
16
17 Hello Ben,
18
19 '/var/cache' is the place where 'application cache data' must be placed
20 according to the FHS standards. AFAIK '/var/cache/edb/' is the
21 directory where portage stores it's metadata cache, the world file and
22 stuff. So nothing thats not recoverable by portage itself - so no need
23 to make backups of the directory.
24
25 regards, stefan.
29 (o_