From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 05:45:55
1 Hi guys,
2
3 My back-up setup with rdiff-backup is going very smoothly so far.
4 Skipping /usr/portage/distfiles really saved me a lot of time/space. I
5 just have one more question.
6
7 In the below email, Anthony excludes /var/cache/edb. Wondering what this
8 directory is for, and why I should exclude it?
9
10 Just want make sure I'm not excluding something that I'll need, should I
11 ever have to actually use this backup.
12
13 b
14
15 Anthony Gorecki wrote:
16
17 > Here is the script I use for my nightly backups, network-wide, as an example:
18 >
19 > ---
20 > #!/bin/sh
21 >
22 > exec rsync -xPHa --numeric-ids --delete-excluded --exclude=/tmp \
23 > --exclude=/var/tmp --exclude=/sys --exclude=/proc --exclude=/dev \
24 > --exclude=/var/cache/edb --exclude=/var/db /* \
25 > rsync://selene.nvanc.ectrolinux.com/backups-entro
26 > ---
27 >
28 > Please note the -x option, which instructs rsync to skip network-based
29 > filesystems. This command can only be run as root, and will create an
30 > identical copy of a local filesystem on the backup server: files that have no
31 > business being backed up or that would only waste disk space needlessly are
32 > excluded (/usr/portage should be in the exclude list above, however it's
33 > automatically excluded by the -x option on my machines).
34 >
35 > Steam encryption and compression can also be worth-while, depending on the
36 > environment. Typically, encrypting the stream is a good idea, which is
37 > something I plan to implement on my own systems within the next few weeks. My
38 > network can happily throw around large amounts of bandwidth, therefore I
39 > choose not to waste extra system resources by compressing the data as it's
40 > being transferred.
41 >
42 > On the server end, the applicable portion of rsyncd.conf is as follows:
43 >
44 > ---
45 > [backups-entro]
46 > path = /var/backups/entro
47 > list = false
48 > read only = false
49 > use chroot = true
50 > uid = root
51 > gid = root
52 > hosts allow = entro.nvanc.ectrolinux.com
53 > ---
54 >
55 > I hope that provides some degree of clarification regarding one of the
56 > possible ways to implement a backup system.