From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iSCSI on Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:07:57
1 Excellent... this is the kind of info I'm looking for. Your setup
2 isn't actually that different from what I'm looking at. I have about
3 200 gigs of video that need to be stored along with another 300 gigs of
4 various other multimedia - the video is all training video to be
5 streamed off our web server and the other stuff is our marketing and
6 media department's work files - basically their job archive. I'm not
7 looking at running a mail server or a database off of this right now, I
8 figured I'd start with something simpler and less i/o intensive. This
9 is our 'proof of concept' SAN for all intents and purposes.
10
11 With regards to volume management I found that I could use all the
12 normal Linux tricks with the exported LUNs - the client machine really
13 doesn't know it isn't a direct attached SCSI disk. I'm considering
14 FalconStor IPStor for our SAN controller as it is Linux based (Red Hat
15 unfortunately) and will handle everything from replication to snapshots
16 and backups. It basically has the same function as the Cisco storage
17 router except it's more open and will work with pretty much everything
18 under the sun.
19
20 Bryn