From: Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iSCSI on Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:14:57
1 I just joined gentoo-server in the past few days and missed the
2 original post, but I'll post some of our experiences so far with Linux
3 iSCSI on the client side.
4
5 Server side is Cisco iSCSI 5400 with RAID Inc backend. All
6 volume management is in the Cisco gear and is roughly 8TB usable. I've got
7 a single client machine, Redhat 9.0, using the RPMs from the sourceforge
8 project. All interfaces are GigE.
9
10 The client is running Helix Streaming server 9.02 and Apache
11 2.0.49. Total outbound traffic is 70Mb/s at peak with 45Mb/s being
12 average. All content is served from the iSCSI array on a single LUN at
13 this time. By this time next week I should have the other 3 servers
14 coverted over and be serving 250Mb/s off the iSCSI SAN. All servers are
15 dual PIII 1Ghz or better, have a dedicated interface for the iSCSI lan,
16 and 4GB of RAM.
17
18 Tested with jumbo frames and without on the iSCSI lan. Jumbo
19 frames increased performance 5-10% with regards to throughput and
20 decreased CPU overhead by at least 60%. CPU on the Cisco side did drop
21 slightly, but was generally unaffected. I'm assuming they do most of the
22 TCP stuff in hardware for performance. I also used ethtool to set "autoneg
23 on" which enabled flow control. Cisco recommended that as a way to
24 decrease segment retransmits, shown by netstat -s | grep seg. This did
25 almost eliminate bad segments and dropped segment retrans by a factor or
26 10. Service has been stable other than Real Server problems with the Helix
27 build on Redhat 9.
28
29 Some musing about our system and how it may not resemble yours:
30
31 Our system is 100% reads, long ones as well, off the SAN. I have
32 noticed that when using the current client machine to rsync new data to
33 the SAN that iSCSI CPU usage increases dramatically. Also doing lots of
34 reads with significant writes also increase CPU usage more then the data
35 transfer would suggest.
36 I currently have one client going to one lun out of four. The plan
37 is to spread content evenly on the SAN. I'm not sure how this will effect
38 the client and server sides. Especially once I add the other 3 client
39 machines.
40 None of the file we're serving are smaller than 300MB so caching
41 content in RAM never happens. I don't know if webserving off a SAN with
42 smaller files would see less SAN traffic when Linux/Apache caches content.
43 We're doing almost no volume management. I need to talk to the
44 admin to set it up so I have no idea if it's easier under Cisco and how
45 the client reacts to changes.
46
47 This was probably a bit outside the data you were looking for, but
48 if you want to hear more shoot me an email. I'll probably have another
49 update early next week.
50
51 kashani
52