From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iSCSI on Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:30:53
1 Doesn't look like I've had any bites out there so I'll share my
2 findings at least for any future googlers...
3
4 The good news is iSCSI on Linux works. I have been able to export
5 block devices from one Linux machine and mount them on another.
6 Apparently the Windows drivers are well tested too but I don't have any
7 Windows machines to test with. The initiator sees the exported iSCSI
8 LUN as if it were a locally attached SCSI disk. If you export an LVM
9 volume it appears to the remote machine as a local SCSI disk and you
10 can do all the usual stuff to it - i.e. you need to either create a
11 partition table or use lvm on the remote machine to portion out your
12 virtual device.
13
14 The bad news is the iSCSI target driver is lacking a few key functions.
15 It doesn't seem to handle resizing volumes very well - I tried
16 resizing an exported LVM volume and all hell broke loose. The biggest
17 problem however is that it doesn't appear to let you make configuration
18 changes without restarting the target daemon. This is a major problem
19 as it means you have to unmount _ALL_ iSCSI volumes before you can add
20 a new one on the target server. This wouldn't make for much of a SAN
21 if every time you wanted to make a configuration change you had to down
22 all your servers!
23
24 So here's hoping that more developers will join in on the iSCSI target
25 project listed below at ardistech.com. There's definitely something
26 brewing here which will make SAN's a whole lot cheaper and easier to
27 implement for the average environment. Give it some more development
28 time and it will actually be viable!
29
30 Bryn