From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "鹏辉 王" <wangpenghui@××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-server] Good practice: to use various kinds of software?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:18:29
1 Today one of my server crashed. I am an inexperienced admin, looked
2 through log files and determain berkdb is very much likly crashed.
3
4 My administration rule of thumb is "to keep it simple and stupid", so I
5 hate to have all different software with same function all around. I
6 configured the openldap, cryus, postfix, webapplicaton and web analizer
7 all use berkdb, in fact many of them could be configured to use gdbm or
8 mysql, but I hate to add administration difficulty by using different
9 software.
10
11 Now I am thinking perhaps I am wrong. "simple and stupid" maybe makes
12 the system risky. In my case, berkdb crashed (reason not clear yet. Now
13 still working on recover data) and openldap, cyrus .... all about a
14 dozen of software depending on berkdb no longer work. If I seperate
15 them, use different db for different purpose, I am putting eggs in may
16 baskets.
17
18 Just wish to hear your suggestions. Yours
19 Zhang Weiwu