From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Good practice: to use various kinds of software?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:29:40
1 On Friday 05 November 2004 7:17 pm, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2 > My administration rule of thumb is "to keep it simple and stupid", so I
3 > hate to have all different software with same function all around.
4
5 Using the same analogy, configuring a system to be "stupid" is synonymous to
6 asking for the very behaviors that you're trying to avoid.
9 > I
10 > configured the openldap, cryus, postfix, webapplicaton and web analizer
11 > all use berkdb, in fact many of them could be configured to use gdbm or
12 > mysql, but I hate to add administration difficulty by using different
13 > software.
14
15 Keep in mind that these are typically configure-and-forget administration
16 requirements. Portage will keep the system up-to-date on its own.
19 > Just wish to hear your suggestions.
20
21 Use whichever applications make the most sense for the solutions you implement
22 on your server; this does not equate to the applications which are the most
23 prestine and create the smallest possible amount of work to install --
24 continually cutting corners will only result in an eventual car accident.
28 Anthony Gorecki
29 Ectro-Linux Foundation