From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "鹏辉 王" <wangpenghui@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Good practice: to use various kinds of software?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:45:22
1 Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2
3 >On Friday 05 November 2004 7:17 pm, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
6 >>My administration rule of thumb is "to keep it simple and stupid", so I
7 >>hate to have all different software with same function all around.
11 >Using the same analogy, configuring a system to be "stupid" is synonymous to
12 >asking for the very behaviors that you're trying to avoid.
15 My English is not as good as you expect. so truly I don't understand
16 what you mean.
17
18 >>I
19 >>configured the openldap, cryus, postfix, webapplicaton and web analizer
20 >>all use berkdb, in fact many of them could be configured to use gdbm or
21 >>mysql, but I hate to add administration difficulty by using different
22 >>software.
26 >Keep in mind that these are typically configure-and-forget administration
27 >requirements. Portage will keep the system up-to-date on its own.
31 Still, I don't get you. What is configure-and-forget? I have to recored
32 all my configuration and plan, what I did and so like, because I am on
33 my job and should be responsible. Even 1 hours unplanned working-time
34 server down is not acceptable for my customers. If I didn't remember
35 what I configured when things go wrong, what do I tell my boss?
36
37 >>Just wish to hear your suggestions.
41 >Use whichever applications make the most sense for the solutions you implement
42 >on your server; this does not equate to the applications which are the most
43 >prestine and create the smallest possible amount of work to install --
44 >continually cutting corners will only result in an eventual car accident.
47 In my case, I would rather spend 100+ hours of extra work just to keep
48 it always on. My point is stability and functionality. First I am afraid
49 of having more software with same function running would add complicity
50 to the server administration, thus being unstable and harder to debug,
51 and I am afraid of running having many software depending on one single
52 db (in my case, everything use berkdb) would make it difficult to
53 recover from crash and to debug reason of the crash.
54
55 I don't understand what you are suggesting. Let's go straight to the
56 point, just let me know if you are in my position what will you do. In
57 my case openldap, postfix, cyrus, web-application, web-analyzer all use
58 berkdb for its data, and today server crashed because of berkdb data
59 corruption (and recovered with yesterday's backup). The reason of the
60 crash I am not sure yet (looks like because of berkdb), but the company
61 lost money from this crash because the web-service are not responding in
62 crash time. Now the first 3 part ("openldap, postfix, cyrus") could be
63 configured to use another db, say gdbm. I just wish to try to move the 3
64 part to gdbm. I think this could make it easier if it crash again, to
65 separate parts of the problems. But before I do any thing, I wanna learn
66 practical suggestions from the list.