From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Good practice: to use various kinds of software?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 06:19:10
1 On Friday 05 November 2004 9:45 pm, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2 > Anthony Gorecki wrote:
3 > >Using the same analogy, configuring a system to be "stupid" is synonymous
4 > > to asking for the very behaviors that you're trying to avoid.
5 >
6 > My English is not as good as you expect. so truly I don't understand
7 > what you mean.
8
9 What I was meaning is that you can't expect to always take the easiest
10 solution to a problem and expect the results to be highly successful. I don't
11 know whether my original comment is actually applicable, as you may have
12 intended your words to mean one thing, while I could have interpreted them to
13 mean something completely different.
16 > >Keep in mind that these are typically configure-and-forget administration
17 > >requirements. Portage will keep the system up-to-date on its own.
18 >
19 > Still, I don't get you. What is configure-and-forget?
20
21 By stating "configure-and-forget," I was trying to point out that once you've
22 installed a package and it's working, you generally will only need to spend a
23 relatively small amount of time to keep it working and updated.
26 > I have to recored
27 > all my configuration and plan, what I did and so like, because I am on
28 > my job and should be responsible. Even 1 hours unplanned working-time
29 > server down is not acceptable for my customers. If I didn't remember
30 > what I configured when things go wrong, what do I tell my boss?
31
32 I agree, but I believe you mistook what I was trying to say. See the above.
35 > First I am afraid
36 > of having more software with same function running would add complicity
37 > to the server administration
38
39 I can understand your concern, but what part of the system administration do
40 you believe would become so much more difficult to manage? Configuration
41 files for applications typically change rather infrequently, and since
42 updates are managed by Portage, I don't see what would cause the extra
43 complication.
46 > In
47 > my case openldap, postfix, cyrus, web-application, web-analyzer all use
48 > berkdb for its data --snip -- Now the first 3 part ("openldap, postfix,
49 > cyrus") could be
50 > configured to use another db, say gdbm.
51
52 I would suggest using MySQL for Postfix and Cyrus; I have no recommendations
53 regarding the other applications.
57 Anthony Gorecki
58 Ectro-Linux Foundation