From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Was it necessary to remove support?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:57:48
1 On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 13:58 -0500, Andrew Kesterson wrote:
2 > This is going to sound a bit elitist, but was it really necessary
3 > to remove install instructions for a stage 1/2 from the handbook?
4 Technically no, but support / bugfixing was problematic.
5
6 > It seems
7 > to me like, if someone doesn't know what they're doing when they start a
8 > stage 1, then they should not be surprised when they bork the install.
9 > Besides, it's all very plainly laid out; or at least it was.
10 Tell that to the "U b0rk my gent00, u suck!!!!!!!!" bugreporters ;-)
11
12 On a more serious note, the handbook suggested stage3 for beginners as
13 far as I remember, but noone reads the handbook ...
14
15 > Hope I don't forget how to do it the next time I setup a
16 > workstation. :-P Is there at least going to be a FAQ for how to recompile
17 > a working server from the base system with custom CFLAGS and USE flags,
18 > for those who haven't done a stage 1 before?
19 edit settings
20 emerge gcc glibc binutils && emerge -e world
21
22 Or does that not do everything as you wish?
23
24 wkr,
25 Patrick
26 --
27 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move