From: Chris Shelton <cshelton@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] rsnapshot problem
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:47:57
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ben,
5
6 On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 at 8:20am, Ben Munat wrote:
7
8 > I'm running rsnapshot 1.29 on a gentoo box, backing up a remote gentoo
9 > server. I recently moved my server to a new machine. After switching the
10 > domain name to point at the new machine, I found that files and
11 > directories from the old machine are still in my daily.0 backup each
12 > morning. They are mixed with the new files and directories.
13
14 I would suggest either using a different value for snapshot_root in
15 your rsnapshot.conf, or a new backup entry with a different
16 destination.
17
18 I am doing something similar on a newly setup gentoo server, and have
19 the snapshot for each remote system sent to a separate directory:
20
21 (from rsnapshot.conf)
22 backup root@hotdog:/home/ hotdog/ +rsync_long_args=--bwlimit=6000
23 ...
24 backup root@cheddar:/home/ cheddar/ +rsync_long_args=--bwlimit=6000
25 ...
26 backup root@batboy:/home/ batboy/ +rsync_long_args=--bwlimit=6000
27
28 This results in the following directory layout:
29
30 pickles portage # ls -l /snapshots/daily.0/
31 drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Oct 14 17:08 batboy
32 drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Oct 12 03:59 cheddar
33 drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Oct 11 19:56 hotdog
34 drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Oct 11 16:22 localhost
35
36 > My rsync_long_args are:
37 >
38 > rsync_long_args --delete --numeric-ids --relative \
39 > --delete-excluded --ignore-errors
40
41 Those look fairly standard.
42
43 > and I see these args in the log.
44 >
45 > The backup does finish with warnings, but it almost always does... it's
46 > hard to backup a mail directory tree without something changing! But,
47 > ignore_errors is supposed to override that and delete anyway right?
48 >
49 > Hoping someone can help because it looks like my old and new file
50 > systems will remain intermingled forever at this rate... effectively
51 > making the backup useless (or at least a major pain to restore).
52
53 > I was thinking about deleting everything under the server's directory in
54 > daily.0. That should pull everything fresh right? Sucks to have to pull
55 > all the files again, but I'm not seeing any other way right now.
56
57 I don't see any way around that either.
58
59 chris
60
68 --