From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Qmail - Spamassassin - Clamv
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:20:36
1 Firstly, have you ensured that the queue handler is specifed appropriately
2 in your /etc/tcp.smtp file? Here are two example lines. The first allows
3 relaying from a 10.0.0.0/8 subnet and skips any RBL checks (i.e.
4 don&#180;t run
5 spamassassin for our internal users). The second disallows relaying for
6 eveyone else and in both cases qmail-scanner wil be used as the delivery
7 agent.
8
9 10.0.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",RBLSMTPD="",QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl"
10 :allow,QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl"
11
12 It's also a good idea to let localhost do anything:
13
14 127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT="",RBLSMTPD=""
15
16 Naturally, if any changes are made you need to follow the step for building
17 tcp.smtp.cdb as mentioned in the top of that file.
18
19 > Ok found the qmail-scanner log in
20 >
21 > /var/spool/qmailscan
22 >
23 > Seems like clamv is puking?
24 >
25 > LibClamAV Error: readdb(): Malformed pattern line 7381 (file
26 > /var/spool/qmailscan/mail10872837774267801/clamav-ded551c6cbafecef/viruses.db).
27 > LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (8 bytes).
28
29 The guide suggests that resource limitations imposed by tcpserver&#180;s
30 softlimit might be to blame. Have you tried raising the softlimit in
31 /var/qmail/control/conf-common and restarting /etc/init.d/svscan? I believe
32 the default setting is somewhat inadequate for "real-world" mailservers.
33
34 Another thing is that the clamav daemon (by default) runs as the clamav
35 user. You might want to check that it has suitable write permissions under
36 the above-mentioned directory (it's been a while since I used qmail, so
37 I can't recall the precise way in which qmail-scanner employs external
38 scanners off-hand).
39
40 Beware of you choose to use any "glue" programs which mide override
41 the environment - see the warning about Vpopmail in the qmail-scanner FAQ
42 here for instance: http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/FAQ.php.
43
44 Also, Spamassassin isn't that strong in its default configuration (IMHO).
45 I prefer to set a level around the 5 mark (watch for false positives though)
46 and enable the rbl_checks (including razor2) becuase it makes a big
47 difference. That might not be a wise option for a large scale deployment
48 though because of the potential overhead of such queries.
49
50 HTH,
51
52 --Kerin Francis Millar