From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] gs-sources - gone!?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:17:05
1 Karl Zander wrote:
2 > If I were to move to the hardened sources, can I just copy over my
3 > .config file, run "make oldconfig" and then adjust the kernel options
4 > as necessary? I guess my question is, is the .config file specific to
5 > particular sources or can it be used with other sources?
6
7 I wouldnt recommend this - gs-sources is quite heavily patched, I'm not sure
8 about hardened-sources, but I expect it has a very different patchset and many
9 options would differ, so you are fairly likely to run into problems. I tend to
10 avoid "make oldconfig" even on upgrades between point releases of the same
11 kernel - its the safest way to do it, and you get pretty quick at configuring
12 kernels when you've done it a few times :)
13
14 Daniel