From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:56:08
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 05:07:46PM +0100, Ian P. Christian wrote:
4 > Twice you've suggested there are problems, and it's ok because there
5 > haven't been many. This really isn't the case. I can't afford to
6
7 In my exp and after reading ml I think constant updates in x86 result in
8 1-2 issues per year. I think it's ok. I think it's better to get these
9 issues isolated, after updating 2-3 packages, and with ability to fallback
10 to previous package versions, than get these issues after massive update
11 of everything every 6-12 months and without ability to fallback.
12
13 Also I'm usually make `emerge --sync` and then wait 2-3 days reading ml
14 before running `emerge -uDNa world` - only in hope to avoid these
15 '1-2 issues per year', because if something so bad happens ppl in ml
16 usually notify about it very quickly.
17
18 > systems and test them out properly. Perhaps giving them a week or two's
19 > worth of stress testing.
20
21 Yeah, I'm doing this 1-2 week stress testing by installing updates on
22 developers servers first, then on production servers. But this really
23 needed then some core package updated - linux kernel, perl, mysql, apache -
24 everybody has own list of critical packages and it isn't too big usually.
25
26 > I'm sorry, but that is just crazy talk ;)
27 > You clearly don't deal with PHP, where a point release can break a LOT
28 > of things, some things you might not notice by loading 2 or 3 pages from
29 > a website.
30
31 Yeah, you right about me. I don't deal with PHP and I never administrate
32 more than 5-6 servers. :) But I think it happens sometime, so this
33 discussion is very interesting for me - I wanna learn other's experience
34 and be ready for situations where my own experience will not work anymore.
35
36 It still isn't clear for me why update strategy for 100 servers differ
37 from 5-6 servers. I don't believe in 100 servers doing really DIFFERENT
38 tasks with really different configurations (at least - in all these
39 servers managed by single admin :)). If most of these server has similar
40 configurations then it's ease to setup few test servers updated
41 constantly and have production servers updated with some delay after test
42 servers.
45 P.S. About PHP. I don't deal with PHP because of only one reason:
46 I convince my boss what PHP is too unsecure (Ohh, I feel millions of PHP
47 fanatics will kill me now :)) and we moved all our PHP apps into
48 dedicated server, which we specially buy for this task, and I'm not really
49 think about security and updates of this server - I'm sure it can be hacked
50 just because of holes in PHP scripts which I can't audit and fix.
51 This may sounds terribly, but... overall security equal to security of
52 weakness place, and I don't think my attitude to updating this server
53 lowering it overall security. Myself, selecting between hacking one of
54 apache/ssh/qmail services on non-updated-in-12-months server with Hardened
55 Gentoo and hacking a lot of different (both custom and opensource) PHP apps
56 on this server will choose PHP without thinking too much. :)
59 WBR, Alex.