From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:12:10
1 Perhaps this is simply just a case of accepting there's 2 schools of
2 though on how to keep a system upto date. If this is the case, Gentoo
3 certainly doesn't' lend itself well to the school I attend, and clearly
4 I'm not the only person who's there.
7 Alex Efros wrote:
8 > very rare broke anything, so "constant" in this case doesn't result in
9 > so many troubles as it sounds.
10 >
11 > in long term, :( while "constant updating" solve these issues without
12 > introducing too many new problems.
13
14 Twice you've suggested there are problems, and it's ok because there
15 haven't been many. This really isn't the case. I can't afford to
16 upgrade 10's of machines every week and test them all (mostly they do
17 different things obviously).
18
19 > Hmm... Again, x86 is stable enough to avoid such retesting on each update.
20 > I agree it's nice idea to retest everything, but it's just impossible -
21
22 No, it's not. On a 6/12 month cycle (or like ubuntu for example, I
23 *think* it's 18) you get plenty of time to setup your stuff on some test
24 systems and test them out properly. Perhaps giving them a week or two's
25 worth of stress testing.
26
27 > If some deeper problems arise in this app just because of database update
28 > from 4.3 to 4.3.1 then it's probably because of bug in your app and it's
29 > better to fix it NOW.
30
31 I'm sorry, but that is just crazy talk ;)
32 You clearly don't deal with PHP, where a point release can break a LOT
33 of things, some things you might not notice by loading 2 or 3 pages from
34 a website.
35
36 > Probably this way isn't acceptable for you - I'm mostly administrate
37 > servers dedicated for few complex apps, and it's ease to quickly check
38 > them all after update.
39
40 Can I ask how many? Perhaps this is just that you've not hit the point
41 where it's just a PITA yet.
42 I used to have no problem running 5 or 6 machines, but now it's just a
43 nightmare.
44
45 > Maybe 'Debian stable' is right choice for ppl who vote for 'stable
46 > portage tree' - it has only very old, really stable packages and only
47 > critical updates (I doesn't use Debian myself, so maybe I'm wrong about it).
48
49 Or, some might suggest the answer for those that want a 'stable portage
50 tree' is to provide... wait for it... it's a radical suggestion... a
51 stable portage tree? :)
52
53 Yours, occasionally sarcastically and no disrespect meant -
54
55 Ian
58 Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk