From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:50:57
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 09:16:55AM -0500, Jesse, Rich wrote:
4 > Constant and needless updating servers is the exact opposite of "stable".
5
6 Yeah.
7
8 But last years show ARCH=x86 is stable enough and such updates
9 very rare broke anything, so "constant" in this case doesn't result in
10 so many troubles as it sounds.
11
12 About "needless" - as I said before, in last years I've tried all ways
13 to update servers - exactly because I also wanna install only security
14 fixes for everything plus sometimes update some critical for my tasks
15 packages because of important bug fixes there... but this doesn't work
16 in long term, :( while "constant updating" solve these issues without
17 introducing too many new problems.
18
19 > By default, Portage doesn't lend itself to this. I don't need/want the
20 > latest Postgres just because it's available, especially when the upgrade
21 > would require data and/or app migration. Upgrades warrant testing. I
22 > can't justify spend hundreds of man-hours testing all available apps on
23 > a given system just because some program went from v4.3 to 4.3-1.
24
25 Hmm... Again, x86 is stable enough to avoid such retesting on each update.
26 I agree it's nice idea to retest everything, but it's just impossible -
27 you should define some intelligent amount of retesting which you able to
28 do quickly after update. Something like smoke testing in few clicks to be
29 sure your app is running and working with database is enough for most cases.
30 If some deeper problems arise in this app just because of database update
31 from 4.3 to 4.3.1 then it's probably because of bug in your app and it's
32 better to fix it NOW.
33
34 Probably this way isn't acceptable for you - I'm mostly administrate
35 servers dedicated for few complex apps, and it's ease to quickly check
36 them all after update.
37
38 Also, I don't think your example is good and realistic. So critical
39 components as database isn't update often, newer version of databases
40 isn't usually marked as dependency for some other app, so you usually
41 isn't forced to update it ASAP - you can delay database update until
42 you'll read changelog and become sure your apps are ready for it.
43
44 > I also can't justify upgrading just because Gentoo no longer wants to
45 > keep last year's ebuild around. Thankfully, a sysadmin can make use of
46 > OVERLAY and rsync (*without* "--delete"!) to create their own portage
47 > tree, complete with all the old rebuilds. Anyone that's tried to
48 > upgrade an old OpenSSH knows what happens on the ensuing revdep-rebuild
49 > -- ebuilds are gone, and you're stuck in the mud.
50
51 Yeah, I know. But removing --delete doesn't guaranty ability to install
52 old ebuild - just because ebuilds sometimes changed without versions
53 bumping, and reinstalling same version few months later can result in
54 compilation using different patches and/or configure options, etc.
55
56 Such "old" ebuild even can fail to unpack, see this example:
57 1) [January] foo-1.0.ebuild added, it use files/foo.patch
58 2) [Febrary] foo-1.0.ebuild deleted,
59 foo-2.0.ebuild added, it also use files/foo.patch, but this
60 is completely different patch while it has same name as
61 previous patch :(
62
63 And another problem: removing old ebuild from portage mean it isn't
64 supported anymore, so you doesn't get GLSA and bugfixes for it. This is
65 why naive initiative of Jan Meier (in second subthread of this thread)
66 will not work:
67
68 >> I think every update because of security reasons has a security announcement.
69 >>
70 >> I would be willing to start such a stable tree, I am thinking of taking a
71 >> current portage tree, delete all ~arch ebuilds and create an overlay. Every
72 >> time a security announcement is fired up I will add the newer ebuild to the
73 >> overlay, checking for any really needed depencies.
74
75 > But that doesn't mean I don't need stability. Any major libs get
76 > changed and I need to relink Oracle. Then I need to wonder what changed
77
78 Yeah, but... there always some reason why things like glibc updates, and
79 you free to update it or delay update because you don't have time now
80 to relink Oracle.
81
82 There is a big difference between 'install only selected updates' and
83 'install all updates except selected'. I prefer second because first
84 don't work in long term (I got troubles installing security updates after
85 about 6-8 months going this way). To support first way and get 'stable
86 portage tree' we need big enough team of Gentoo devs dedicated for this
87 task. For now it doesn't looks like they willing to do this.
88
89 Maybe 'Debian stable' is right choice for ppl who vote for 'stable
90 portage tree' - it has only very old, really stable packages and only
91 critical updates (I doesn't use Debian myself, so maybe I'm wrong about it).
92
93 > I'm way short on time and way too terse here. This is the kinda stuff
94 > that needs to be debated over copius amounts of really freakin good
95 > beer.
96
97 Agreed! :)
100 WBR, Alex.