From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:19:22
1 Constant and needless updating servers is the exact opposite of
2 "stable". Server stability equates to money in almost all business,
3 IMHO. Why on earth would I risk my stability on a daily basis by
4 emerging world? Remember that the ONLY reason to upgrade a server is if
5 there is discernable benefit. The benefit may be a security fix, bug
6 fix, supportability, enhancement, or it just looks cooler -- that's for
7 the user/benefactor(s) to decide.
8
9 By default, Portage doesn't lend itself to this. I don't need/want the
10 latest Postgres just because it's available, especially when the upgrade
11 would require data and/or app migration. Upgrades warrant testing. I
12 can't justify spend hundreds of man-hours testing all available apps on
13 a given system just because some program went from v4.3 to 4.3-1.
14
15 I also can't justify upgrading just because Gentoo no longer wants to
16 keep last year's ebuild around. Thankfully, a sysadmin can make use of
17 OVERLAY and rsync (*without* "--delete"!) to create their own portage
18 tree, complete with all the old rebuilds. Anyone that's tried to
19 upgrade an old OpenSSH knows what happens on the ensuing revdep-rebuild
20 -- ebuilds are gone, and you're stuck in the mud.
21
22 RedHat is stable. It's also a PITA to maintain for some business apps.
23 Building Oracle on RedHat requires arcane incantations and animal
24 sacrifice. But doing the same on Gentoo is the same as any flavor of
25 Unix. So, I use RedHat in production, but Gentoo on my R&D desktop.
26 But that doesn't mean I don't need stability. Any major libs get
27 changed and I need to relink Oracle. Then I need to wonder what changed
28 and how to test it. It's just not worth the hassle for almost all
29 updates for me.
30
31 I'm way short on time and way too terse here. This is the kinda stuff
32 that needs to be debated over copius amounts of really freakin good
33 beer.
34
35 My $.02,
36 Rich
39 -----Original Message-----
40 From: Alex Efros [mailto:powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com]
41 Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:30 AM
42 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
43 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
44
45 Hi!
46