From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:34:53
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:00:21AM +0100, Ian P. Christian wrote:
4 > Updating every 6/12 months is fine in principle, but it means going
5 > though 10's of machines updating config files and resolving conflics.
6 > This is a painful task, it's fine for 1 machine, it's fine for 5... but
7 > you have any real number of servers to maintain and it ends up taking
8 > hours or days to upgrade your servers.
9
10 Yeah, your right. But there simple solution for this: update your servers
11 every 3-4 days, and you will be surprised how ease and quick this task become.
12 You'll need from a couple of seconds to 2-3 minutes in average for such update!
13 Usually a few not important for you applications will be updated, which
14 can't broke anything on your server, and which require few seconds to
15 update their config files. Sometimes one of applications critical for your
16 server become updated, and this require more attention, but it's much
17 better to update ONE such important application instead of updating ALL of
18 such important applications every 6-12 month. And this way you always can
19 ease fallback to previous version of this application if something goes
20 wrong on your server, add broken (for you) version to
21 /etc/portage/package.mask, report bug and wait for next update.
22
23 I've tried all these ways of updating my servers in last 2 years:
24 update every few days, update only security issues, update every 6-12 months
25 and found first way much more ease, effective and manageable than others.
26 With two other ways I also wanna 'stable portage tree', with first way I
27 don't need it - ARCH=x86 IS A 'stable portage tree' for me now. :)
30 WBR, Alex.
31 --
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list