From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:03:08
1 On 08/16/06 Jan Meier wrote:
2 > I am using glsa-check for reporting vulnerable software, currently
3 > not for updating. I will give "emerge imagemagick" a shot, maybe that
4 > has less dependencies :) . With your answeres in mind I came to the
5 > opinion that there is not a real need for a "stable portage tree".
6
7 I personally think there is a a large need for a stable tree.
8
9 I run 10s of servers, and I'm sure there's people on this list who run
10 many more.
11
12 Updating every 6/12 months is fine in principle, but it means going
13 though 10's of machines updating config files and resolving conflics.
14 This is a painful task, it's fine for 1 machine, it's fine for 5... but
15 you have any real number of servers to maintain and it ends up taking
16 hours or days to upgrade your servers.
17
18 A stable tree that has an update cycle of something like 6 months and
19 perhaps a security overlay (implement as an overlay perhaps to reduce
20 the sync time and therefore resources) would be idea - then upgrading
21 between 'releases' could be well documented and coordinated.
22 Unfortunatly, this is a huge project - and without a small/medium team
23 of dedicated gentoo devs, it's not going to happen.
26 Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk