From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:18:28
1 Ian P. Christian wrote:
2 > On 08/16/06 Jan Meier wrote:
3 >> I am using glsa-check for reporting vulnerable software, currently
4 >> not for updating. I will give "emerge imagemagick" a shot, maybe that
5 >> has less dependencies :) . With your answeres in mind I came to the
6 >> opinion that there is not a real need for a "stable portage tree".
7 >
8 > I personally think there is a a large need for a stable tree.
9 [ snipp ]
10 The basic problem here is: Upstream may not publish "security fixes" but
11 just a new (fixed) version. If you want a "stable" tree, you have to
12 watch upstream cvs/svn/mailing lists and backport fixes. That is a lot
13 of work.
14
15 cheers
16 Paul