From: Haim Ashkenazi <haim@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] using apache2 as a reverse proxy for exchange server
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:20:00
1 On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 09:46 +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-06-12 at 20:21 +0000, Casper Gasper wrote:
3 > > On Monday 06 December 2004 01:10, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
4 > > > I'm trying to configure apache2 as a reverse proxy for an exchange
5 > > > server that has internal address. I know it's a bad idea,
6 > >
7 > > Bad idea? Why? I think if you set it up properly it's a very good way of
8 > > securing Outlook Web Access.
9 >
10 > You can't secure Exchange's "Outlook Web Access" by sticking it behind
11 > an Apache reverse proxy for a few reasons:
12 >
13 > 1) OWA will still be running in Internet Information Server, which is
14 > buggy and ridden with security holes.
15 >
16 > 2) OWA, like every other web application, is liable to attacks that
17 > target some weakness in its design at the application level, as opposed
18 > to targetting vulnerabilities in the host web server. SQL injection type
19 > attacks are the poster-children here, but there are many others. A proxy
20 > (or firewall, for that matter) will not help you because such things are
21 > conveyed as legitimate web requests.
22 >
23 > What you will get, however, is protection against:
24 >
25 > 3) any attack that would crash IIS that doesn't crash Apache which isn't
26 > proxied through *by* Apache will then be averted.
27 >
28 > Not much of a gain given (1) and (2), but probably still worth the
29 > effort.
30 >
31 > We did do the proxy thing (and, stuck Qmail as MX in front of Exchange)
32 > at a previous site on the grounds that something is better than nothing,
33 > but have no illusion that you are now "secure" as a result.
34 I agree with what you say. my options were VPN or proxy. the problem I
35 had with VPN is that this company doesn't have a system administrator,
36 and doesn't give much thought about security. VPN could be much worse
37 then web access if someone breaks to one of the laptops and access the
38 network from there. with reverse proxy (and an access password in apache
39 I thought it would be a little less risky. (well at least if I'll be
40 able to make it work...).
41
42 Bye
43 --