From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] using apache2 as a reverse proxy for exchange server
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:47:07
1 On Mon, 2004-06-12 at 20:21 +0000, Casper Gasper wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 December 2004 01:10, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
3 > > I'm trying to configure apache2 as a reverse proxy for an exchange
4 > > server that has internal address. I know it's a bad idea,
5 >
6 > Bad idea? Why? I think if you set it up properly it's a very good way of
7 > securing Outlook Web Access.
8
9 You can't secure Exchange's "Outlook Web Access" by sticking it behind
10 an Apache reverse proxy for a few reasons:
11
12 1) OWA will still be running in Internet Information Server, which is
13 buggy and ridden with security holes.
14
15 2) OWA, like every other web application, is liable to attacks that
16 target some weakness in its design at the application level, as opposed
17 to targetting vulnerabilities in the host web server. SQL injection type
18 attacks are the poster-children here, but there are many others. A proxy
19 (or firewall, for that matter) will not help you because such things are
20 conveyed as legitimate web requests.
21
22 What you will get, however, is protection against:
23
24 3) any attack that would crash IIS that doesn't crash Apache which isn't
25 proxied through *by* Apache will then be averted.
26
27 Not much of a gain given (1) and (2), but probably still worth the
28 effort.
29
30 We did do the proxy thing (and, stuck Qmail as MX in front of Exchange)
31 at a previous site on the grounds that something is better than nothing,
32 but have no illusion that you are now "secure" as a result.
33
34 AfC
35 Sydney
38 Andrew Frederick Cowie
39
40 OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
41 Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers
42 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
43
44 Sydney: +61 2 9977 6866
45 New York: +1 646 472 5054