From: Casper Gasper <cas@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] using apache2 as a reverse proxy for exchange server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:09:44
1 On Monday 06 December 2004 22:46, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > You can't secure Exchange's "Outlook Web Access" by sticking it behind
3 > an Apache reverse proxy for a few reasons:
4 >
5 > 1) OWA will still be running in Internet Information Server, which is
6 > buggy and ridden with security holes.
7 >
8 > 2) OWA, like every other web application, is liable to attacks that
9 > target some weakness in its design at the application level, as opposed
10 > to targetting vulnerabilities in the host web server. SQL injection type
11 > attacks are the poster-children here, but there are many others. A proxy
12 > (or firewall, for that matter) will not help you because such things are
13 > conveyed as legitimate web requests.
16 I'm not aware of any unpatched exploits in either IIS or OWA, but I do take
17 on board that new vulnerabilities will be found in both products sooner or
18 later.
19
20 Remote access is always a weak spot in network security, but I still maintain
21 you can use OWA in this kind of setup that will be secure enough for most
22 people. Here are things you can do:
23
24 1. Use client certificates
25 2. Run the service on a non-default port
26 3. Use account lockouts for multiple password attempts
27 4. Filter URL requests for obvious application attacks
28
29 In addition, you're only giving potential attackers a fairly small window to
30 aim at -- http requests on OWA. Compare this with other remote access
31 technologies like VPN which will typically give you a much wider range of
32 targets, even if you are restricting their access internally.
35 Casper.