From: Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Root commands > syslog
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:06:30
1 On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jason Qualkenbush wrote:
2 >
3 > As far as logging commands once someone gets a root shell, I did find
4 > some info (if anyone is interested). First, there was syscalltrack
5 > (http://syscalltrack.sourceforge.net/index.html) which seems to work,
6 > but looks to be more like a debugging tool.
7 >
8 > I did find a bash shell patch called bash-bofh that logs all commands to
9 > syslog. Though, I the only pages I seem to find are hacker oriented
10 > pages and the homepage seems to raise backdoor questions
11 > (http://www.ccitt5.net). Still, the bash-bofh is the closest to what I
12 > seek so far.
13 >
14 > Anyone using a modified shell like this?
15 >
16 > -Jason
17
18 My last company used it to keep programmers from making changes outside
19 the change windows. Also it was handy to see what other admins had done
20 on the box. Su to root and start checking the admin logs rather than
21 dealing with a number of history files.
22
23 Yes you can get around this sort of logging, but for a corporate
24 environment where there is a bit of accountability it shouldn't be a
25 problem. I don't believe bash-bofh was the exact version we used, but it
26 was similar.
27
28 kashani