From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <support@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-server] Gentoo email services/programs
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:11:21
1 I would like to move from mbox format to mail dir. One of my reasons for
2 doing so is I want to mount user directories over the network. More than
3 likely using NFS at least for now.
4
5 I am not sure if Sendmail/Procmail is nfs maildir friendly. Or if the
6 maildir format is nfs safe regardless of the smtp server used.
7
8 I may or may not need to switch away from Sendmail. That depends on
9 another issue.
10
11 It seems the only imap server I can use is bincimap. Good new for me is
12 bincimap is nfs safe.
13
14 So if I can use Sendmail for smtp, and bincimap for imap, I am left with
15 what to use for pop.
16
17 Qpopper is not nfs safe and I am not sure if it works with maildir.
18
19 Currently I am using uw-imap for imap and pop. However they both only
20 support mbox not maildir. Not to mention not being nfs safe.
21
22 Basically I need a combo of smtp, pop, and imap that I can use with the
23 maildir format via nfs. Small programs.
24
25 For example I looked into emerging courier-imap. Which for some reason
26 required xfree to be installed due to some dependency. That's rediculous
27 for a server to have x when it will not be used.
28
29 One thing I did not like about bincimap was it's control over the
30 maildir and being able to create folders in the root of the maildir
31 directory instead of in the inbox. There is a work around for it, but I
32 am not sure if another imap server is better in that regard.
33
34 Bincimap is not bad, and I do not mind using it unless there is a good
35 reason not to.
36
37 However I am at a loss for a pop server, and most seem to be part of a
38 smtp server.
41 Sincerely,
42 William L. Thomson Jr.
43 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.