From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:26:29
1 On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 11:54 -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
2 > Thank you for your advice. It's good to hear that someone else is in a
3 > similar scenario.
4 >
5 > The only thing that's going to be a hard sell around here is Catalyst --
6 > our senior sysadmin (who is a considerably more seasoned Gentoo user
7 > than myself) has taken the position that using Catalyst is unnecessary
8 > and that emerge (targeting a chroot, with appropriate FEATURES set to
9 > generate binary packages) should be adequate. He's not immovable on such
10 > things -- but I'll need to have a very solid understanding of the
11 > benefits of using Catalyst before arguing any case to the contrary.
12 > (I've also contacted the author of gentoo-buildhoster to find out why he
13 > abandoned it, what he's using in its place, and whether he believes the
14 > project to be worth picking up; if he believes catalyst-2 to be more
15 > suitable for his use cases, understanding the reasoning behind that
16 > decision may provide some powerful arguments).
17 >
18 I very much agree with his assessment here. This is what I do for binary
19 distribution to desktop systems. It is very effective. I have played
20 with Catalyst quite a bit, but agree that catalyst-2 is much more well
21 suited for this.
22
23 I use also use the method described here: http://m8y.org/gentoosync.txt
24 to filter the portage tree. It makes for faster sync times, but
25 primarily, it makes me take a look at any additions or changes to the
26 tree. I've caught potential problems with updates by simply keeping a
27 very clean tree, which is important on the build server.
28
29 I surprises me how little work has gone into the binary support in
30 portage with the sheer number of devs around here who use the features.
31 I asked over three years ago about some specific bugs, and was assured
32 that they would be fixed soon. I don't think there has been a single
33 significant change in that time. Would be nice if -g/G was fixed. Here
34 is the method I use for using -k/K:
35
36 For package/*.tbz2 format:
37 #!/bin/bash
38 cd /usr/portage/packages/All/
39 all=`emerge -p $@ | grep "\[ebuild " | sed -e "s/\[ebuild[^]]*] //" | /
40 awk '{print $1}'`
41 for pkg in ${all}
42 do
43 `wget -nc http://binhost.tld/portage/packages/${pkg}.tbz2`
44 done
45
46 For *.tbz2 format:
47 #!/bin/bash
48 cd /usr/portage/packages/All/
49 all=`emerge $@ -p | grep "\[ebuild " | sed -e "s/\[ebuild[^]]*] //" / |
50 sed -e "s/.*\///g" | awk '{print $1}'`
51 for pkg in ${all}
52 do
53 `wget -nc http://binhost.tld/packages/All/${pkg}.tbz2`
54 done
57 Maybe someday, I'll turn it into a proper script, but for now, this
58 works.
59
60 Wendall
63 Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
64 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
65 -- Linus Torvalds