From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@×××××××.net>
To: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:56:54
1 Thank you for your advice. It's good to hear that someone else is in a
2 similar scenario.
3
4 The only thing that's going to be a hard sell around here is Catalyst --
5 our senior sysadmin (who is a considerably more seasoned Gentoo user
6 than myself) has taken the position that using Catalyst is unnecessary
7 and that emerge (targeting a chroot, with appropriate FEATURES set to
8 generate binary packages) should be adequate. He's not immovable on such
9 things -- but I'll need to have a very solid understanding of the
10 benefits of using Catalyst before arguing any case to the contrary.
11 (I've also contacted the author of gentoo-buildhoster to find out why he
12 abandoned it, what he's using in its place, and whether he believes the
13 project to be worth picking up; if he believes catalyst-2 to be more
14 suitable for his use cases, understanding the reasoning behind that
15 decision may provide some powerful arguments).
16
17 Much of your other advice (ie. quickstart) is completely in line with
18 our preexisting plans; thanks again for answering. (As for some of the
19 items you're curious about -- such as our staff-to-server ratio -- I'm
20 not entirely comfortable discussing all of that on an archived list;
21 perhaps on IRC).
22 --
23 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list