From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o, cduffy@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 07:42:32
1 Charles Duffy wrote:
2 > Thank you for your advice. It's good to hear that someone else is in a
3 > similar scenario.
4 It's likewise nice to hear someone is planning the same as we do.
5 > The only thing that's going to be a hard sell around here is Catalyst
6 > -- our senior sysadmin (who is a considerably more seasoned Gentoo
7 > user than myself) has taken the position that using Catalyst is
8 > unnecessary and that emerge (targeting a chroot, with appropriate
9 > FEATURES set to generate binary packages) should be adequate. He's not
10 > immovable on such things -- but I'll need to have a very solid
11 > understanding of the benefits of using Catalyst before arguing any
12 > case to the contrary. (I've also contacted the author of
13 > gentoo-buildhoster to find out why he abandoned it, what he's using in
14 > its place, and whether he believes the project to be worth picking up;
15 > if he believes catalyst-2 to be more suitable for his use cases,
16 > understanding the reasoning behind that decision may provide some
17 > powerful arguments).
18 Well, basically he's right. Catalyst is a build tool that wraps all the
19 stuff you need to do when building packages in a chroot, with some
20 additional features
21 You don't need it.... it just saves time and a lot of work writing your
22 own scripts to manage the environment, and it's semi-maintained.
23
24 OTOH you lose flexibility, need to invest time in learning how catalyst
25 works etc.
26 Catalyst-1 is completely unusable for building system-images, this is a
27 feature that catalyst gained with the -2 release.
28 Catalyst has gained quite a community of users by now, who keep bugging
29 Chris for features and explaination, you can find them on gentoo-catalyst.
30
31 The benefit of using catalyst for us is that it solves two wishes in one
32 fell swoop:
33 * an automated and repeatable system image build tool
34 * a binary package generator for specified system images
35
36 Additionally we're looking into using the tinderbox target to validate
37 builds on top of our different server images.
38 > Much of your other advice (ie. quickstart) is completely in line with
39 > our preexisting plans; thanks again for answering. (As for some of the
40 > items you're curious about -- such as our staff-to-server ratio -- I'm
41 > not entirely comfortable discussing all of that on an archived list;
42 > perhaps on IRC).
43 OK, that's cool, we've been thinking of generalizing the changes we did
44 to quickstart to get it to talk to our inventory system and submitting
45 them back to agaffney.
46 If somebody finds the time to do the work, that is. I would be very
47 curious about the inventory system you are planning, if you're willing
48 to shed some light on that I'd be grateful.
49
50 Ramon
53 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list