From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:31:28
1 Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > Well, basically he's right. Catalyst is a build tool that wraps all the
3 > stuff you need to do when building packages in a chroot, with some
4 > additional features
5 > You don't need it.... it just saves time and a lot of work writing your
6 > own scripts to manage the environment, and it's semi-maintained.
7
8 You have an odd definition of "maintained". Chris (catalyst lead) and I (general
9 code monkey) are actively working on catalyst. We just don't care much about
10 features that don't directly benefit release building, since that's what
11 catalyst's primary function is. If someone asks for a feature that doesn't
12 affect building releases and submits code, we're very likely to throw it in.
15 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
16 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
17 --
18 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list