From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:06:13
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Ramon van Alteren wrote:
3 >> Well, basically he's right. Catalyst is a build tool that wraps all
4 >> the stuff you need to do when building packages in a chroot, with
5 >> some additional features
6 >> You don't need it.... it just saves time and a lot of work writing
7 >> your own scripts to manage the environment, and it's semi-maintained.
8 >
9 > You have an odd definition of "maintained". Chris (catalyst lead) and
10 > I (general code monkey) are actively working on catalyst. We just
11 > don't care much about features that don't directly benefit release
12 > building, since that's what catalyst's primary function is. If someone
13 > asks for a feature that doesn't affect building releases and submits
14 > code, we're very likely to throw it in.
15 Please, that's not what I meant, accept my apologies if that's what came
16 across.
17
18 What I meant with semi-maintained is that it is maintained as an
19 internal tool for building gentoo-releases and not as a general
20 system-images buildtool.
21 Reading it again I should have said that more clearly, sorry.
22
23 Ramon
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list