From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [OT] Roaming... Is ACAP dead? Any other solution?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:08:01
1 Hello Jose,
2
3 > I was searching for a solution for the problem of storing address book
4 > information, bookmarks, etc. in a centralized location (roaming user
5 > profiles) when I found about IMSP
6
7 It would seem to me that what you seek is very similar to a directory service.
8 http://www.infrastructures.org/bootstrap/directory.shtml
9
10 > Is there any other standard / interoperable solution for the roaming
11 > profile problem? All I've been able to find seems to be highly
12 > propietary or non standard at all.
13
14 Have you looked into using Samba, with an OpenLDAP backend?
15 www.samba.org
16 www.samba-tng.org
17 www.openldap.org
18
19 This book gives a plethora of implementation examples including the setup and
20 use of roaming profiles:
21 http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
22
23 It would seem to me (after racing my eyes across those links you provided)
24 that this implementation may be limiting what the clients can use to only a
25 couple of solutions. Perhaps this is an "up and comming" thing that will be
26 more widely used in the future. Of course, it's also possible that this has
27 simply not gained enough momentum, as if it may have already been done with
28 other protocols, packages, etc.
29
30 Here is a quote from the following page (dating 9-11-1996):
31 http://asg.web.cmu.edu/acap/white-papers/acap-vs-others.html
32 " The other protocols and approaches to which we are comparing ACAP in
33 this document include: LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
34 and directory services in general; DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration
35 Protocol); SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol); HTTP (Hypertext
36 Transfer Protocol); DNS (Domain Naming Service); distributed
37 filesystems, such as NFS and AFS; and traditional database-style
38 implementations, such as SQL.
39
40 We believe in the concept of 'the right tool for the right job'. We
41 have no love for re-implementing the wheel, but in researching the
42 available options in the context of Project Cyrus, we discovered this
43 particular type of precision screwdriver, and trying to get one of
44 these other protocols -- designed for very different forms of
45 transactions -- is like using a heavy-duty hammer or a wrench to get
46 this particular screw attached."
47
48 I hope this helps!
49