From: Francisco Olarte Sanz <folarte@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 09:10:13
1 On Saturday 07 October 2006 02:38, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
2 > I thought it might be nice to recap the characteristics of the possible
3 > RAID configurations. Please feel free to correct any points that are
4 > incorrect or inaccurate.
5
6 > (4) Disk RAID5:
7 >
8 > Total Array Capacity: 750G
9 > Reading Throughput: <= 2 x a single drive read cap. (similar to RAID0)
10 > 1 file can be read at-most 1 time
11 > or 4 separate file can be read simultaneously
12 > Write Throughput: <= 1 x a single drive write cap.
13 > Fault tolerance: can survive 1 disk failures
14
15 I'm not sure of the raid 5 figures. For very big writes, i.e., lot's of full
16 stripes, you'll get up to 3x write performance ( if your controller can write
17 to all disk in paralell and is smart enough to calculate parity in memory ),
18 but for small writes ( i.e, directory entries or DB updates ), you'll get
19 about 0.5x ( exact figure is difficult, but for a single sector update a raid
20 5 has to make 2 reads ( old sector, old parity ), then recalculate new parity
21 as and then two writes AFTER them ( new sector, new parity ). Also read
22 performance should be <= 3x if you give <= 4x for raid 0.
23
24 F.O.S.
25 --
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list