From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] NIC brands - best for firewall reliability?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:20:40
1 Stuart Stegall said:
2 > Let's see. I believe Dell switched to Broadcom NIC components, because
3 > of reliability issues with the Intel components, but PCI-X cards are
4 > different beasts, plus if one breaks you just swap the card (provided
5 > you have all the kernel and userland in place to handle that) As to the
6 > slightly separate issue of performance. I have seen several "Windows"
7 > based performance comparisons between the two and Broadcom always came
8 > out on top. But driver performance differences between Linux, BSDs, and
9 > Windows vary pretty considerably. YMMV.
10
11 Most of the information I've seen on this topic has come from the OpenBSD
12 community. The fxp cards like Intel PRO/100s and such are recommended
13 almost exclusively over other cards. This of course is considering the
14 matter of drivers, because it may be that the OpenBSD fxp(4) driver helps
15 the interface to be that much more robust.
16
17 I have to say though, I've never heard of any sort of problems in the
18 Intel cards themselves, such that I would understand why Dell would have
19 switched to Broadcoms...
20
21 Anyone know of a reliable resource online that could shed some light on
22 this question?
23
24 DS