From: Stuart Stegall <stuart@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] NIC brands - best for firewall reliability?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:01:22
1 Let's see. I believe Dell switched to Broadcom NIC components, because
2 of reliability issues with the Intel components, but PCI-X cards are
3 different beasts, plus if one breaks you just swap the card (provided
4 you have all the kernel and userland in place to handle that) As to the
5 slightly separate issue of performance. I have seen several "Windows"
6 based performance comparisons between the two and Broadcom always came
7 out on top. But driver performance differences between Linux, BSDs, and
8 Windows vary pretty considerably. YMMV.
9
10 > -----Original Message-----
11 > From: Sancho2k.net Lists [mailto:lists@××××××××.net]
12 > Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 10:34 AM
13 > To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
14 > Subject: [gentoo-server] NIC brands - best for firewall reliability?
17 > We've got a dell poweredge 1750 server that we want to use
18 > for a firewall. It has 2 onboard Broadcom BCM5704 Gigabit
19 > Ethernet interfaces (e1000 driver) and a four port, Intel
20 > Pro/1000 card (82546EB Gigabit Ethernet) (tg3 driver).
21 >
22 > How would these two cards stack up against each other in
23 > terms of reliability, sustaining consistent thruput, and
24 > potential for errors?
25 >
26 > My belief is that the Intel card/driver is superior in these
27 > areas, and therefore I would choose to use these ports for
28 > high-throughput interfaces that I can't afford to have
29 > interface failure on.
30 >
31 > Am I up in the night on this? Can one card be considered
32 > better than the other?
33 >
34 > TIA
35 >