From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] NIC brands - best for firewall reliability?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:34:29
1 We've got a dell poweredge 1750 server that we want to use for a firewall.
2 It has 2 onboard Broadcom BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (e1000 driver)
3 and a four port, Intel Pro/1000 card (82546EB Gigabit Ethernet) (tg3 driver).
4
5 How would these two cards stack up against each other in terms of
6 reliability, sustaining consistent thruput, and potential for errors?
7
8 My belief is that the Intel card/driver is superior in these areas, and
9 therefore I would choose to use these ports for high-throughput interfaces
10 that I can't afford to have interface failure on.
11
12 Am I up in the night on this? Can one card be considered better than the
13 other?
14
15 TIA
16