From: Andy Dustman <farcepest@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] NIC brands - best for firewall reliability?
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:04:27
1 On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:34:21 -0700 (MST), Sancho2k.net Lists
2 <lists@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > We've got a dell poweredge 1750 server that we want to use for a firewall.
4 > It has 2 onboard Broadcom BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (e1000 driver)
5 > and a four port, Intel Pro/1000 card (82546EB Gigabit Ethernet) (tg3 driver).
6
7 I've got a couple of these and I use the onboard Broadcom ports (tg3
8 driver, you had the drivers swapped) with gigabit ethernet, and tagged
9 VLANs (802.1q), and they've never been an issue. I also have a Dell
10 D600 laptop, which uses the same chip/driver (on 100 Mbps ethernet),
11 and it doesn't seem to have an issue. Likewise I have a Dell GX240
12 desktop with the Intel chip (e1000 driver), gigabit ethernet and
13 tagged VLANs, and it works fine. In short, there's not any tangible
14 difference that I've ever noticed, but then I haven't ever tried to
15 benchmark them.
16
17 In contrast, a lot of the older Dell stuff has 3Com 100 Mbps ethernet
18 (3c59x) which I find has a lot of problems with autonegotiation
19 (mostly HD vs. FD), and needs to be patched for VLANs (last I checked;
20 I don't think I'm using any of these for VLANs at the moment).
23 Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.