From: Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.1.x or 5.x.x
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:28:23
1 Georges Toth wrote:
2 > But if charsets and library dependencies are the only things which could break
3 > my setup; and if I can avoid that by setting a default charset to "latin1"
4 > and by following the guide...the upgrade should be smooth
5 > I guess.... ?
6
7 latin1 works perfectly fine on MySQL 4.1 and 5.0 too, so, if you were
8 using latin1 before, you should (must) continue to use it for things to
9 not break, or you will have to convert your databases to utf8 which is
10 the default for the 4.1/5.0 series on Gentoo. To maintain the latin1
11 charset as default even when using 4.1/5.0, simply enable the "latin1"
12 USE flag on the 4.1/5.0 ebuild, et voila: you have a latin1 MySQL install!
15 Best regards,
16 Luca Longinotti aka CHTEKK
17
18 LongiTEKK Networks Admin: chtekk@×××××××××.com