From: Georges Toth <georges@××××.lu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "Daniel Schledermann (TypoConsult A/S)" <daniel@×××××××××××.dk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.1.x or 5.x.x
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:57:12
1 > In general lots of things could go wrong. PHP script is a good example.
2 > If you use older versions of complex PHP-apps, upgrading mysql might not
3 > be a very good idear. One of the things that might go wrong is the
4 > charset-stuff. In MySQL 3-4.0 the char set on the server as one. In the
5 > newer versions it is on table basis. This for example breaks older
6 > versions of TYPO3.
7
8 I am currently using latin1.
9 Could something break if I continue to set the default charset to latin1 ?
10 I had that problem on a test environment a while ago...and had things solved
11 then by setting the charset to latin1 as default.
14 > And remember to follow the upgrade guide. Not doing so will b0rk your
15 > server.
16
17 I sure will :-)
20 > If you can afford it, the safest approach IMO is to have an extra server
21 > with the old MySQL-version on, that you keep alive, and then move your
22 > databases one at a time.
23
24 That is not a option for me as I don't control all the apps using the database
25 server.
26
27 But if charsets and library dependencies are the only things which could break
28 my setup; and if I can avoid that by setting a default charset to "latin1"
29 and by following the guide...the upgrade should be smooth
30 I guess.... ?
35 regards,
36 Georges Toth
37 --