From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Cheap Gentoo firewall hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:33:02
1 Hey all,
2
3 While surfing last night, I came across the Linksys NSLU2 "Slug"
4 NAS-like USB controller that can run Gentoo. See
5 http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/GentooSlug/HomePage I was thinking that
6 perhaps it could be used as a cheap-ish (and quiet!) standalone
7 firewall. It got me thinking that I might be able to use a cheaper
8 diskless SunRay running Gentoo (possible?) for such. I'm sick of my
9 Linksys 4-port router bouncing everytime it gets too much UDP traffic
10 (e.g. Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament, and later versions of Azureus)
11 and I don't think it would be a good idea to use my file/mail/web/DB
12 server as my firewall.
13
14 Thoughts?
15