From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] gentoo inside of an infrastructure
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:43:39
1 Hi,
2
3 at the moment I'm in the process of planing/deploying an infrastructure
4 environment based on gentoo (infrastructure servers and clients).
5
6 The infrastructure should mainly be based on the famous
7 infrastructure.org paper.
8
9 I'm planning to have a "gold-server" with pre-compile binary packages,
10 as well as the related configuration files. Those divided into different
11 host groups (web, mail etc.).
12 All of the above should be under version control.
13
14 Hence my questions related to this topic:
15 What approaches/tools are you using (for example for host installation,
16 application/configuration management, ad hoc changes etc.)?
17
18 Is it wise to use the gentoo specific tools (like emerge) on the
19 clients, or do you prefer more "generalized" tools?
20
21 Well, one specific question I have a the moment is how to strip down a
22 gentoo system to it's base system. So that it doesn't contains any
23 development tools/dependencies (compilers, dev-libs, etc.)? Since I
24 would like to use binary packages on the clients.
25
26 It would be really great if you could share your experience, thoughts,
27 hints etc. regarding this subject.
30 Many thanks in advance!
31
32 regards,