From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] gentoo inside of an infrastructure
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:17:38
1 Christian Affolter wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > at the moment I'm in the process of planing/deploying an infrastructure
5 > environment based on gentoo (infrastructure servers and clients).
6 >
7 > The infrastructure should mainly be based on the famous
8 > infrastructure.org paper.
9 >
10 > I'm planning to have a "gold-server" with pre-compile binary packages,
11 > as well as the related configuration files. Those divided into different
12 > host groups (web, mail etc.).
13 > All of the above should be under version control.
14 >
15 > Hence my questions related to this topic:
16 > What approaches/tools are you using (for example for host installation,
17 > application/configuration management, ad hoc changes etc.)?
18 >
19 > Is it wise to use the gentoo specific tools (like emerge) on the
20 > clients, or do you prefer more "generalized" tools?
21
22 Once I find time, I was hoping to get the gentoo server project working on such
23 tools. If you do write a nice tool for servers, please let us know and maybe we
24 could include it in portage!
25
26 > Well, one specific question I have a the moment is how to strip down a
27 > gentoo system to it's base system. So that it doesn't contains any
28 > development tools/dependencies (compilers, dev-libs, etc.)? Since I
29 > would like to use binary packages on the clients.
30
31 I haven't personally done that, but I think a few folks on here have.
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operational Manager
36
37 ---
38 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net